History of LMCs

Did you know…

1835: The Provincial Medical and Surgical Association was founded, in the days when anyone could practice as a doctor and there were no regulations controlling the profession.
1856: As membership grew, the PMSA was re-named the British Medical Association.
1858: After years of lobbying by the Association, the General Medical Council (GMC) was established as the regulatory body for the profession.
1911: Local Panel Committees were established by David Lloyd George to represent local doctors who took patients on to their panel. The same year saw The National Insurance Act give basic medical cover for those earning less than £2 a week.
1912: The Insurance Acts Committee was established by the BMA to represent all panel doctors, this committee being recognised by the Government as the authoritative voice of General Practitioners.
1913: Local Panel Committees were re-named Local Medical Committees (LMCs).
1948: Following the Beveridge Report of 1942, the NHS was launched on 5th July.
1965: The Family Doctors Charter was introduced, establishing a range of improvements in the way General Practice was operated and leading to the introduction of the Red Book.
1974: The Trade Union and Industrial Relations Act saw the BMA being recognised as the Trade Union for the Medical Profession. It should be stressed that LMCs are NOT Trade Unions themselves.
1977: The NHS Act reinforced and expanded the statutory recognition and functions of LMCs.
1984: Another NHS Act further expanded the recognition and scope of LMCs.
To this day, the LMC is the only local, elected and representative body for General Practitioners, the functions, purpose and aims equally as important today as they were 100 years ago.

The annual spend for the first year Cornwall LMC was in operation was a whopping £46.